Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Be Not Afraid

The article, Fear of Feminism, reminded me of when we first took that little survey at the beginning of the semester and we were supposed to state if we were a feminist or not. I honestly had no idea what to write. I really didn't know much of feminism, just the basic stuff of fighting for womens rights and what not. So to say whether I was or not confused me because I think that all women should fight for their rights, but I personally couldn't see myself going out and really making a difference in the world, maybe in my own life, but not everyone elses! Then I went on to read and came across that idea again about people relating feminism with being a lesbian - as if they're one in the same. It shouldn't be about sexuality, but so many people relate the two, and what heterosexual young girl would want to be a part of that group. Then guys wouldn't want to bother with her! Because of course, young girls are only interested in boys! Also, most young girls, or even women don't experience anything that may harm them physically, emotionally. Therefore, those women "of course" aren't going to do anything about fighting for women, and "of course" fear the idea of feminism. I think once someone's life is impacted by some type of struggle, then they can truly experience it and the meaning of what it is to be a feminist. Like the reading said, it is a scary and fearful thing to stand up for yourself (and others) when you know people will look at you a certain way. It would be a tough challenge, but in the end wouldn't it be worth it? To put your hard work and effort into making your life and the life of all women that much better? There is a lot at stake, be not afraid!!

No comments:

Post a Comment