Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Don't be afraid to take a stand!

As I read “Fear of Feminism” I was brought back to some of the earlier readings that mentioned the various reasons women feared feminism, whether it was fear of being called a lesbian or fear of being marginalized, the reality still is that young women walk away from feminism. Hogeland makes many valid points as to why young women are so afraid and a particular point I found interesting was the one of complacency; apparently, young women have become complacent through “gender consciousness”. It is true, we are normally afraid and alert when walking through lonely, dark places but I had never really thought of this as a reason to fear feminism. I guess this consciousness brought up through social constructions gives young women the idea that they are to “play their feminine role” and remain vulnerable not loud women’s rights activists. Like Hogeland says, young women feel it is “far easier to rest in silence” and avoid any consequences that come with becoming involved with the feminist movement.

I admit I am not one to go out and join the feminist movement; I recognize I am a feminist, but I wouldn’t necessarily organize a protest. I feel one of the main problems today with young women is the lack of awareness toward feminism. Before taking this course I would not have considered myself a feminist, young women need to be properly informed so they aren’t stuck believing the usual negative stereotypes. Women have the right to be heard and the right to fight for their place in society, the problem is that most are afraid to take a stand and get noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment