Monday, May 9, 2011

Blog #10 The End.

WOW is all I can say! I must admit I am kind of disappointed with the ending and how it left the reader wondering what really happened to Offred. I guess it is KIND OF neat that it left you in suspense. I like that it wasn't Serena who called "The Eyes" on Offred which actually leads me to believe that "The Eyes" that took Offred were apart of the resistance. Atleast I hope they were! The whole part where Serena confronts Offred with the sequened dress really got me thinking. It is hard to believe that the life Serena lives is the life she had been fighting for. It also shows the reader that even the most "free" women of Gilead are not free at all. With Serena knowing what her husband has been doing with both of their handmaids, she is still forced to stay with him and live with her cheating husband. She doesn't have the option to leave. The whole purpose of Gilead is to respect their women and keep them safe and yet the commanders are cheating on their wives and whoring out their handmaids! Complete disprespect. This book illustrates the idea of male power and really makes me wonder what our world would be like without feminists and women fighting for freedom and equal rights.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, was very shocked that the ending was so open ended. I always like to know what happens rather than coming up with my own crazy ending. The Historical Notes did reveal a great deal of what may have happened though. It's disheartening to know the professor tells his students to not judge the rulers of Gilead too harshly, even though they had documentation of the horrid lives women lived.

    ReplyDelete