Thursday, May 19, 2011

Feminist is not so scary!

As I read through the section titled “Fear of Feminism” I could only think of myself and the survey that we had taken at the beginning of the semester. On that survey, I stated that I was not a Feminist…. Oh how wrong that I was and how right Valent was- I was a hardcore feminist in denial. This section illustrates why women are so afraid to be labeled as feminist or identifying as one. Fear of political reprisals, homophobia, being taken out of the dating pool, being labeled in negative ways and so on and so on. Even after so many years of education, it saddens me to think that I fell for all of this nonsense. It is not only young girl that fear feminist labels but older educated women as well (as seen in the results of our class survey!). I consider myself to be an intelligent person, but this reality was definitely an eye opener. I strongly believe that everyone should be required to take a women’s study course in their education it is essential in our culture that highly values equality. I am glad that I will not leave Cal State Fullerton thinking that I am not a feminist. Now that I realize this importance, I kind of feel embarrassed for not initially accepting that I am indeed a feminist. Thank you WMST 302 for taking off the blindfold from my eyes and making me that much less ignorant on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment