Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm one of them, or was...

After reading the article by Hogeland, I began thinking to myself that it sounds like she's describing me. I was a part of the young women when she says "of course young women are afraid of feminism". I never realized that I do have a fear of feminism. Before taking this class and listening to the discussions, I just thought it was going to be an easy A. I quickly discovered how wrong I was. I had no idea I would learn so much in such a small amount of time. I am one of those, or was one of those that just saw things how they are. Before learning about how cruel the world has been towards woman in every day life, I honestly didn't even care. I didn't acknowledge that things could change, I just went along with things because I assumed that's just how things were supposed to be. Growing up I was never exposed to what feminism was and certainly never even heard of some of the things I learned in this class. In the beginning of the class I answered to our survey that I was a feminist, only because I thought well I'm a woman so I guess I have to select that choice. I chose it without any kind of background information, it just sounded good at the time. Now if I were to take it again, I could honestly give reasoning for why I am a feminist and not just because it seems like the right thing to pick. There's always one way to tell I learned a lot from a class and when I truly enjoyed it is when I find myself talking about what we learn outside of class. I found myself talking about it quite often. It definitely has changed my mind set for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment