Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Damned Old Man

will admit, the only stereotype I had of feminist as I started Women's Studies course was that I believed that most girls in the class could either be lesbian, or really strong opinionated women (who could pass as lesbian). It was not until further readings and interpretations of the class that I discovered a different perspective on some of the notions that go on today. I do believe that people in America still view feminist as empowered lesbians all bitchin' about God-knows-what. I think this very biased appeal on them discourage many women to fight for what they know is right.
I can understand the point where women can be afraid to become part of any feminist movement. It's the fear of association. Society has a big impulse on any type of gay, lesbian, feminist group. Society quickly goes on the attack and oppresses many of these groups until they are harassed to death. What I learned in this class, i to not be afraid. I was never afraid to stand up for what I believe is right, but I was a bit uncertain about the idea that society might label me as a homosexual for showing interest in homosexual rights. I am not a homosexual-- I always thought to myself, why should I stand up for their rights... because it's wrong. I was afraid of what people might think of me. I believe with a strong opinion comes a good point, when society labels feminist movements and groups as being lesbian, it's just a threat because people are afraid of the success over the years of such groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment