Tuesday, May 10, 2011

freedom

I found the Handmaid's tale very entertaining and interesting. To Offred it seems that freedom is not what you have but what you don't have. Most people, including myself don't realize the freedom they have until it is taken away. Offred doesn't realize the freedom she had until she is placed in this caged society and her freedom has been stolen. I know I have had plenty of experiences in which I didn't realize my freedom until my parents took it away for obvious reasons of misbehaving. Even though Offred was supposedly ‘free’ before Gilead took over, I wonder if she felt free. In society we compare our freedom to what others have and don't have. We live up to other people's standards and opinions on what freedom truly is. I enjoy reading dystopian novels. It opens a different part of your mind and allows it to wonder. I often wonder if they are reflecting society or the logic behind society. Dystopian novels often are not trying to predict the future but they are commentary for the past and the present. This is the main reason I found the Handmaid's tale entertaining. It was interesting to see what Offred and other women experienced and lived in. Freedom is something that people should realize they have when they do have it, not when it is taken away from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment