Monday, March 21, 2011

Birthing Control

I titled this blog "Birthing Control" because I feel that women are losing the ability to control and chose their life decisions, especially when it comes to abortion. I'm pro-choice because I feel it is not anyone's place to judge someone else and to decide what is best for someone else. I feel it is their life and people should mind their own business. Having said that, I do value life and this has always been a struggle for me and I'm sure for many people as well. A women's choice should be her own and not government's. I think it's awful that women are put into awkward and horrible situations, such as being refused birth control at the pharmacy, because the government has a difference of opinion. Government is not the one who has to bring a child into the world. I've had this debate with many people, including my friends at my synagogue. Some of us are more religious than others and we have had heated discussions about this topic. My friend "Sally" for example is completely pro-life because she feels that life is the most important above all else. I've given her examples of women who have been abused and how they were to bring an unwanted and unplanned child into the world. The choice should be hers and hers only.
Another problem was the refusal of pharmacists to give women birth control based on their own religious beliefs. I feel it is unprofessional and inappropriate to ask a stranger what she would be using birth control for and if she was married or not. It is humiliatating for the woman but even violates our right to privacy which is granted to us in the Amendments. So not only is it unethical but unconstitutional as well.
Government needs to stay out of the private business of women and give us more control. It's our body. Our life. We should have the right to gain control over it.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting.

    How has your Jewish belief shaped your thinking about life?

    Reading from other blog posts the majority of the expierences are influenced by Christian/Catholic beliefs. I'd very curious as to how Judaism plays a role.

    Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete