Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Honorable Marriage

Out of the four readings, The essay written by Emma Goldman about marriage was the most interesting to me because I completely disagree with her. Maybe some women believe that mariiage is all about letting a man control your life and make your money, but I personally would never get married for those reasons. I believe that a lot of women, including myself, want to make their own living and be successful regardless if they get married or not. In her essay, Goldman refers to a woman living in a MANS house, not her own house. Although she does point out some great issues about how marriage possibly gives men control over women and oppresses them into not doing what they really want to do, she refused to look at the good side of marriage. I have been with my boyfriend for two years and recently just got engaged. I love him and I think that marrying him some day would be the greatest honor to myself. I see marriage as a gift and as a way of expressing your love for someone. Also, I see marriage as a partnership of EQUAL duties with the women doing just as much as a man does, not for the woman to stay at home and have a low life job like Goldman describes. In my situation, I am probably going to be the one making the most money for a long time because my boyfriend is not capable due to medical issues, and yet I still would want nothing more than to be his wife someday because I am proud of him. These women that Goldman must be talking about settle for men who treat them bad and are only with them for finanical support which further explains why their marriages are entrapments and forms of oppression in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment