Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Lucy, I'm Home!"

She is known for her red hair and “crazy ideas”. Lucy was such a joy to watch even though the show it is older than I am, it is a legend. I love her small tactics and ways of finding her own desires such as getting money, spending it, then trying to fix the problems by her hilarious schemes. Lucy Ricardo is married to a Cuban singer, Ricky Ricardo, but what I noticed now, is that her character represents the ideal “woman” within the society behind the comedic actions. She is a wife who is Dependent on her husband. In every episode she gets into trouble, but to my attention, she fears her Ricky. What’s funny is that its as if Lucy is the child and Ricky the parent. I guess, that’s what it was since the beginning. Women needed to be taught? Like Lucy, marriage “annihilates her social consciousness, paralyzes her imagination, and she is unable to figure out her character”.

Really? Women are cheaper than a cow in the sex slave industry? I couldn’t believe what I was reading, but then again, what more can our world offer? There is this cycle of problems that are not changed in India. Men are in search of women, but there are not enough women, because the money is usually given to the men and plus sons are the only way to continue the family lineage. I guess, they don’t really understand that women are the ones who are actually giving birth. This system is somewhat similar to the us, in a sense that there is this male dominance. In India, male are so dominant that they run a sex slave, they are desperate for brides and sons. In the U.S. there is still tradition tagged along with the marriage, women are dependent on men in a way. I realized there is no love at all anymore within these two essays. I guess, both are also similar in that, instead of the romance, emotions, there is this goal for the women to be able to get well fed, have a child, and live happily? I guess that is happiness for a woman. Take care of your husband, child, and house. Is marriage supposed to be like this? For some reason, I feel that gay marriage can be happier than the heterosexuals who marry for stability, for money.

There are prostitutes in the U.S. but it is controversial, and yet when we compare that to sex slaves in India, it is a sad thing because the Tradition is so dominant, there is no way to reverse this dilemma. America is so blessed. I am thankful but traditions are still lurking around. I know even still in our country, my Indian friend, finally got married after high school. Let’s just hope this is what she wanted, but there needs to be change, there needs to be a way to scoop the purpose of marriage that is giving the image of women a sign of weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment