Monday, March 21, 2011

Building a Nest

I honestly do not like abortion, just the whole issue on what is right and what is wrong. Smith’s essay showed both sides and I loved the way it was ended on how both pro-life and pro-choice in some way connect. They, in some way, are supporting women of color. She quotes “We must reject single-issue, pro-choice politics of the mainstream reproductive rights movement as an agenda that not only does not serve women of color, but actually promotes the structures of oppression which keep women of color from having real choice or healthy lives.” I am assuming it all leads to women and our oppression once again. For me, I am both. I can’t choose. Maybe I am neither.

Because pro-life is also valuable with the fact that, YES, “the fetus is a life”. I, one hundred percent agree with that. It disturbs me to think that so many women struggle with this situation, because, I get it, it is based on their background. What about the poor, the disable? Well, what about the baby? What about the life that is living in the woman’s body? “Life begins in the hospital room, no in the womb”, this quote made me think of how different every women perceives of infants. The fetus is a human being. Women want to be sexually free, but we must also consider how our body works. We have to understand what is so different from the male. We are both equally human but with different functions biologically. But then again there is the pro-choice side of this argument. I wanted to say that the connection with the prison can also be of a metaphorical aspect too. But for pregnant women who are trapped, they are unable to free themselves, and by that if abortion is legal, they will keep doing it, over and over again. She is to make a plan, a choice to feed her child, like a bird having to take her time building a nest, with every twig she finds, flapping for food to feed her birds, and I find this interesting, they usually don’t have a partner help take care of their babies, actually most of the animals don’t. It’s tough. But humans are so different. Teenagers get pregnant. Why? Maybe we should watch our kids, maybe we should educate? That’s all I can say. There is so much going on because society is once again, interlocking with systems of oppression. It somehow leads to this. Women are trapped, they don’t know what to do with every decision that they make. What is causing this? Should they suffer the consequences? Is having a baby suffering? Will it be good for their future, will they be successful as an individual (apart of men’s dominance), can she trust her surroundings, her body, herself? It’s fear. There is fear in both decisions. It is Fear that is keeping us from flapping to making they best plan.

2 comments:

  1. "Well, what about the baby? What about the life that is living in the woman’s body?...The fetus is a human being."

    What about the baby?! Ya, okay, I understand I should be considerate of people's opinions and beliefs but didn't you read the assignments? So there are more works out there that refute Smith and Valenti but I find it hard to wrap my mind around what constitutes as a living being.

    Did you know that before a person is adminstered the lethal injection they're arm is swabbed clean? If life (a fully thinking, breathing, human) is so easily terminated by a syringe what's tearing a fetus bit by bit out of a woman's body?

    No hate. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on your post.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops. For effect I said the fetus is torn out of the body. Not really there are other methods of aborting a fetus.

    ReplyDelete