Thursday, March 3, 2011

Judgment Day

The main point that I got from both of the readings was that in order for women to feel empowered in their sexuality we really need to stop the girl on girl hate. The number one reason heterosexual girls didn't want to have sex was for fear of the stigma that comes with losing your virginity. Yes, it is seen by guys too, but for the majority it's women hating on other women. It's hard to accept yourself and your sexuality when you know no one else is going to. You might say, "Well, fuck what other people think!" and I'm all for that, now, but I know when I was growing up that's a hard mindset to have in an attempt to form your sexual identity during your adolescent years. While, part of this hate is voiced in the "slut" category much of it can also be found in the "she's only doing that for attention" category. To that I have to say that no one knows why someone is doing something. Yes, it could be for the mislead attention of men or it could be something she really wants to do as Valenti had pointed out, or it could be something she is not even aware she is doing (as is often the case at bars and parties) Who are we to pretend like we know what she is thinking and what her reason for doing anything is. Needless to say does anyone actually go and stop or at the very least talk to the girl who is (potentially) making a fool of herself? No! No one goes over to her and says, “Hey, do you realize what you are about to do?” Never! I have seen this situation a thousand times and no other woman will ever, ever pull her aside and make sure that she is at least conscious of her decision. And yes, I am part of this group. Of course, I have also been on the other end and woken up the next morning first, trying to figure out what happened, and second, wondering why none of my friends stopped me or at least pulled me aside to check on me. Now please, let the judgments come as to what kind of a person I am. Think to yourself, “slut”, “drunken party girl”, “desperate” or something else along those lines, but then remind yourself that you have no idea who I am or what I think of myself. Heck, you don’t even know what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment