Thursday, March 24, 2011

What’s Religion Got to Do with It?

As I read the articles out of Women's Voices, Feminist Visions I began to realize just how split on certain topics parts of our society can be. For as long as I can remember, abortion and gay marriage have been a topic of much discussion; however I had not realized just how lopsidedly unfair the topic had become to both women striving for the rights to abortion, and same sex couples looking for legal union. It’s apparent that prejudice and stupidity are alive and doing well in the United States. I’ve always believed that if it’s one’s body they can do whatever they want to it. I apply the same mentality to gays and lesbians with the old saying, whatever floats their boats. As far as I can see it, there really shouldn’t be a big deal. Then it dawned on me; all of the arguments, discussions and sets of rules that give advantage to opposing parties have been created by those with Christian and Catholic backgrounds. As stated by Goldman, “Marriage is primarily an economic arrangement, an insurance pact,” so what’s religion got to do with it? Even Gomes discusses the idea of religion affecting the scheme of things in the case of same sex marriage. "The truth is that God is an optional party to a marriage in the United States....it is relevant only to those who choose to make it so within their own relationship." Being that both of my parents are Catholic, from birth to adolescence my life was shrouded with religion. Baptism, confession, mass, first communion, confirmation, I have done them all. It wasn’t until late in my teenage years that I began to separate myself from the catholic religion on the basis of human rights. I believe that everyone has a right to do whatever they want as long as it is with concern for themselves, and not harmful to others. It’s no wonder that religion and I just couldn’t click.

No comments:

Post a Comment