Thursday, March 10, 2011

Can't fight it

After reading Wittig's article I was surprised to learn about different stories women have experienced when it comes to being lesbian. In society it has not been accepted and in one story where she explains the woman that went to seek professional help because she was in a heterosexual marriage that was not working out for her because she said she was a lesbian, but the doctor had told her she had the eyes of a woman that wanted to have sex with her husband. I was shocked that she went through this treatment by laying there naked and having her husband pretty much rape her. This so called "couch therapy" is a joke. I think that people should be able to make their own choices. The more she claimed to be a lesbian, the more violent the sex became. I think it must have taken a lot for this woman to admit she is lesbian, especially being married to a man. Back in this time being a lesbian was definitely not okay. I think society has come a long way at accepting being gay, but it still has a long way to go. One of my friend's mom had been married and had two children, and after being married for 15 years she divorced and became lesbian. My friend is always embarrassed to tell anyone and I guess I never understood because I am not in the situation. I always tell her it's okay and no one is going to make jokes or judge. I had asked her if her mom knew she was lesbian a long time ago or if she just got married because she tried to fight it but my friend had no clue if her mom turned lesbian one day or had been fighting it from the beginning. When I hear stories about people "coming out" I find it interesting, but it's even more surprising when they have been living a whole different life because they were afraid to be who they really were because it's "wrong" in society. I think it's becoming easier for men and women to be more comfortable and true to themselves if they are gay but it's not easy for everyone I guess. I always wonder what it will be like in 20 or 30 yrs. for gays and lesbians in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment