Monday, March 7, 2011

My Mom Should Have Let Me Watch Prison Movies

Ah, how we girls fantasize about finding our knight in shining armor. Where is he though? Does he exists? Maybe but to a certain extent. In the Bell Hooks' reading it said that "we believe 'someday our prince will come'". Where did this idea come from? Well, I can trace it back to when I was two. Many of us girls grew up with the Disney princesses. The princesses may be a bit different, but the storyline is very similar. Princess meets Prince. Prince and Princess fall in love. Prince and Princess live happily ever after. What happens after happily ever after? Disney doesn't show Ariel and Eric struggling to pay the bills as a new married couple. It doesn't show Jasmine and Aladdin having intimacy issues. So, at a very young age, girls are exposed to an unrealistic view of love and what it is supposed to be like. The boys in romantic movies serenade the girls in song, poems, etc. After the girl is chased by the boy a bit, they have a wonderful perfect relationship. In many songs I also hear there are also unrealistic and have high expectations. One song I hear said "I knew I loved you before I met you". Really? Is that possible. Nowadays that person would be called a stalker. But it's portrayed as being romantic. In a real relationship there should be trust, loyalty, faithfulness, love, honesty, kindness, etc. All those romantic films girls grew up with (Titanic, The Notebook, Endless Love) can create disappointment and can hurt real life relationships. If only my mother let me watch prison movies growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment