Monday, March 21, 2011

I Believe That Life Is A Prize

Abortion has got to be the most controversial topic now a days to talk about. Different people have extremely different opinions on this issue. The readings were all focused on the government involvement in abortion and contraception rights. However, in my eyes, I believe that religion has A LOT to do with being anti-choice or pro-choice. Being raised as a Catholic, I learned very young that abortion was bad and that is was killing a human being. Never once was I told that I had a choice and was not going to be punished for it. This did scare me into not having sex for a while. Looking back on it, being that I am no longer a religious person, I think that they used abortion, and its consequences of “going to hell” as a scare tactic, like ones talked about in the readings, into not having sex and not being a slut. Eventually as I got older I began to see it in a different light, and see it more like Valenti does. A woman should be able to do what she wants with her own body and never be forced into being a parent, especially when it comes to rape. Yes, I do believe that life is a prize, and that it is a beautiful thing, but at the right time and in the right situation. Also, I am pro-choice, but I would say to a certain extent. In my opinion, once you can actually see the baby in its full form; head, eyes, toes, ect, it is not okay to abort the baby. It is a baby! However, in the early stages of an egg with no heart or organs yet, I do not think that is a crime. I think a lot of people see abortion in these terms and not so much the extremes of pro-abortion or anti-abortion. Certain moral standards come into play that determine every persons different views on abortion.

1 comment:

  1. i agree with what you have said. women should have the right to decide what they want to do with their bodies. and being that a pregnancy can be terminated only during the first month i believe than that egg has not formed even into a body yet.

    ReplyDelete