Thursday, February 17, 2011

barbie????

After reading Boys-R-Us by Scanlon, I begin to see the unconcious roles that are being put on little boys and girls. Society is putting much of the gender roles very specific of how it has to be. Somthing as simple as a little game is becoming less and less innocent. When girls are being put to think that boys matter more than friendship. This reminds me of a recent event that happened. At my work two girls came up to me and asked, " what is more important to you, a friendship or a relationship with a boy?". At that moment I though nothing of it but now I come to realize that these students are being guided by society to prioritize people in their lives.



Not only this but also the things that are being put out there for girls. Besides the board games that re-establish that females are the care givers, games are making girls look at their appereance at an earlier age. Make-up kits that used to be fake or plastic make-up are now real make-up that little girls as young as 5 years old can wear. When society realizes what is going on but keeps going with the ratings or with the money coming in I beieve to them it does not matter. But our world is changing maybe companies should be emphasizing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment