Thursday, February 17, 2011

What happened to Hide and Seek?

While reading Scanlon's essay on board games and the socialization of adolescent girls, it brought my memory back to my earlier years and I tried to see myself in the position that adolescents view themselves now through the boardgames. However, I was not compatible to any of the issues she addresses in her essay. Perhaps I was not as exposed to these issues because of my surroundings. I completely agree that the board games do encourage girls to use clothing and make-up to make them look pretty, but I beleive that the media is a major influence on how gender and sex impacts adolescents. Most of them are visual learners and if they like what they see then that's what they'll be.
The problems addressed in the board games are all issues present in the media today. For example, in any t.v. show we see a girls intent to get a boyfriend or to at least get close to a guy in some way or another. It didn't surprise me that the object of these board games was to get a boyfriend. Along with this objective came other obstacles such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation. Gender is portrayed through the games by having girls play feminine roles and having boys play masculine roles. The game defines for the players what they should do or how to act to be considered a girl or a boy. Race and heterosexuality are also important contributers to the game. Most of the characters are white with white-sounding names and if there were the posibility of there being a colored character it would be a male. Scanlon states that in one of the games, the directions specifically state that they cannot pair a girl with another girl or a boy with another boy. This encourages heterosexism and perhaps even triggers a bit of homophobia.
Not all is bad with these board games. At least girls learn to communicate with eachother. While growing up in my community I was surrounded by different ethnic backgrounds and was always playing outside. I never really liked the indoors so I was limited to the amount of media that I absorbed. I was always outside playing hide and seek with boys and girls of all ages. What happened to playing hide and seek? Have the board games and all other indoor activities taken over?

No comments:

Post a Comment