Monday, February 21, 2011

Does it matter how we look?

After reading The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf I began to think of how it is true that beauty is a myth. Women are always worrying about how we look. Should i wear this dress or this skirt? But, when we are making those questions we are really questioning whether people will approve of it specially the important man in our lifes. A couple of years back I can say i didn't really care how I looked. I could be in my pj's when i walked out the door to go to school and i could care less. Not until i got my first job that it began to hit me of my outer apperance. And this was only because I kept listening to my co-workers talking about how they looked and that they had to go to the gym to lose those extra pounds. Now before i leave home to come to school I take one last look in the mirror, which seems to be too obsessive. But as it was stated in The Beauty Myth what we consider beauty where we live others might consider ugly where they live.
Beauty has come to be the main role in every womens life that it is becoming a bigger issue each and everyday. I also recall of when i first began working at the elementary that I work at a first grade girl not eating her snack because it had too many calories and she didn't want to get fat. This was a six year old girl. Very sad that at that age she could not enjoy a simple snack. So, the Beauty Myth has come a far way. For it to be erased will take a stronger effort from women, who already have alot to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment