Thursday, February 10, 2011

Homophobia

Suzanne Pharr's article on Homophobia was a great reading that I really enjoyed. It was an eye opener to the many people out there who do not understand what the word really means and how it affected and still continues to affect many lives today. I like how she calls the word homophobia, 'ugly', because simply it is.
Growing up I don't remember my parents talking to me about lesbians and gays. Probably around middle school when I got older and was now seeing the 'real world' they would always tell me they would love me for who I was no matter who that person was. I have so many friends that are gay that I hang out with and I accept them for who they are. Who am I to judge another that is happy because their sexual orientation is different that the one i chose? Sadly, even today in our world I see hatred for those who are gay and can't seem to understand it. Everyone always tends to refer back to the bible and I just think that's a bunch of b.s.! If one is a happy heterosexual, why can't one be happy as someone who is gay or lesbian? It makes me sad to think that I don't think our world will ever come to a common ground.
As for all of Suzanne Parr's references to being a lesbian, it's so true but yet so saddening! I couldn't believe when she said "to be lesbian is to be perceived as someone who has stepped out of line" this in particular just really blows my mind!
Hopefully one day this world we call 'freedom' won't be as judgmental.

No comments:

Post a Comment