Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Blog #3

After reading the poem in the text book, I found myself feeling sad and confused. Growing up, just like most girls, I wanted to change my hair color, wear make-up, I hated the acne on my face, I wished I was skinnier and so on but I never felt like I wanted to be a different race so that I fit in. It is sad and frustrating that the people we surround ourselves with, the t.v. shows we watch and the magazines/books we read would ever effect someone so much to the extent that they wished they were white because it is the 'clean' and right race to be. It upsets me to know that some people believe their race is inferior to the white race because of the color of their skin.
Also, after reading the article on girls' board games, I was amazed at all of the underlying messages the author came up with. From the popcorn being a low calorie snack for girls to eat in fear of gaining weight to the likes and preferences of boys determining their popularity, it became clear that these types of board games really do play a significant part in portraying certain gender roles to these adolescents. I remember playing these games when I was younger and wanting to be just like those girls I saw on the cards and hoping to be able to marry a guy like one of those on the cards some day too. I also remember thinking I would never be good enough for that type of guy which is why I can see why these types of board games could have a major negative effect on young girls.

1 comment:

  1. I think everyone goes through a phase of wanting to change things about themselves but I've never seen a situation where someone wanted to change their race. My friends and I all shared doubts about ourselves, but it was junior high school and that is a dangerous period for self doubt. We actually all came from different races but were proud. We didn't really stand out or anything but it was alright. None of us ever despised our race. The reading was a little depressing though.

    ReplyDelete