Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Privileges at CSUF

When addressing the Lopez and Hasso essay, I believe that some of these issues can be applied to Cal State Fullerton. First, on page 24 it states that Latinas looked for other Latinas in social and political groups for mentorship and sense of belonging. Although the article only addresses Latinas, I believe that this can be applied to any ethnic group. On campus we have many clubs, sororities and fraternities that are ethnic specific/ gender specific to feel this sense of belonging and to be mentored by the more experienced members of the group. Second, the essay discusses the issue of predominantly white male professors at the university. As a science major, I can say that this is definitely true at CSUF. Although I have has many professors that are not white or all males in non-science classes, I cannot say the same for my core classes. As a fifth year student at CSUF, I have had only two female professors (white and asian), and one Hispanic graduate student lab instructor. Another issue addressed in the essay, and seen at CSUF, is appearance among women (page 26-27). It’s not hard to notice that many of CSUF’s female population “look pretty” to go to school; more than enough females put their lives and others’ in danger to “look pretty” by applying make-up while driving. The last issue I want to address is class boarders. I think that many Latina students at CSUF, including myself, “feel alienated from their home communities as a result of their higher education” (p. 29). For example, my mom always said how proud she was that I was in college; but now that it’s my fifth year and plan on attending graduate school she seems concerned. She feels I’m a smart girl, but I’m getting too old and I need to get married and have children – ASAP. Even today in our diverse campus, many of the issues addressed in Lopez and Hasso’s essay still apply.

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you wrote here spring.blogger. I have to say that I agree with the points that you made about specific areas of the college being white male dominated. As a liberal studies major I have had the opposite experience where most of my professors have been white females. Because many liberal studies majors are looking to become elementary teachers my classes are almost entirely female as well. It is an interesting dynamic that each discipline, but not a surprising one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I'd like to point out that the previous commentor has an awesome username!

    Now back to spring.bloggers' post: I would imagine that parents from first generation college attendees would see their children diverting away from old customs but I guess not.

    Then again, I wasn't surprised you mentioning your mother's insistence to get married. I have two cousins that graduated from UCLA and Berekely and my aunt is constantly berating them for not being married or giving her grandchildren. These women are professionals: one is working for the EPA and the other is making her way through Law school.

    What more can I say to that?

    ReplyDelete