Thursday, February 10, 2011

Frontlines and Borders

The article written by Lopez and Hasso pertains to Latina and Arab American women having to deal with the effects of going to a predominantly white university. In the article, students state their negative experiences and how it has affected their ability to live out their cultural lives. What I found especially interesting about discussing this was that there were different answers for the questions depending on what nationality you were. For example, when asked if this discrimination was still very apparent in the community of Cal State Fullerton, I said that I did not think it was apparent at all because if anything, white people are becoming the minority here. Also, a student stated that they are able to join clubs, groups, and organizations that support their ethnicity, but if I were to start a group supporting the white race, it would be seen as racist, or something like the Klu Klux Klan. I do not take offense to ethnic groups that are available on campus, but in my opinion colored people would take offense if I were to start a white people club. Also, the fact that almost every teacher I have had has been of some different nationality shows how diverse this campus is. One student in the article stated that she felt very uncomfortable and out of place because all of her professors were predominantly white males, so she could not speak out freely. However here at school, I have had teachers of white, black, Indian, and Asian descent. Maybe I do not see how the problem for Latinas and Arab American women is so apparent here because I am white and do not deal with that on a personal level, but in my opinion I think that this campus offers things to all races and has no preferences towards just one.

1 comment:

  1. "I think that this campus offers things to all races and has no preferences towards just one."

    I beg to differ with you. The fact minorities have to organize and construct organizations and clubs is for the same reason that they feel there is no sense of diversity. Sure people would take offense if a "white people club" existed but that wouldn't happen if white people would recognize their birth-given privileges.

    In a perfect world everyone would only join one club: the humanity club. A club dedicated for celebrating all people of all kind! We'll just have to wait and see...

    ReplyDelete