Monday, February 14, 2011

Gender Wars (and the society that made them)

I don’t think that it’s so weird that girls would want to be tomboys when they were younger; I also have the same feelings toward a boy who wanted to act girly. Most of this feeling comes from the fact that in my extended family there are more females than males. My grandma had ten girls and only four boys and most of my cousins around my age are female so whenever we got together to play the estrogen really flew! I personally don’t think I went through a tomboy phase growing up. I think the fact that I was always around girls I never felt the need to act like one of the guys. Although I knew I didn’t want to look too girly either but that came from the fact that I wore a uniform (skirt) for nine years.
I did notice that acting like a tomboy for girls could be considered cool (it even sounds cool), but for a guy and you acted feminine you would be called a sissy which has a really bad connotation. Why can’t people just say feminine instead of sissy?! But what is so wrong with femininity. The world has evolved and most women today like a man to act like a man, and I don’t mean caveman. I agree with what the author(s) of the intro was/were saying that gender was created by society of the past. Now it’s time for the present and future to change the way we think. I’m not saying that we should start telling males that they’re females or vice versa, I just think that men and women should be treated with the same respect as the next human being.
I guess for now women will get the short end of the stick. Our society needs to find the balance between too little or too much. As a woman, acting masculine is not something terrible; the same should apply to a man if acting feminine. However in both scenarios there is a point where it may become too much that the world may not be ready to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment