Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Being a women is not easy

"Ugly is powerful" gosh it really is!! I think being called ugly is one of the most hurtful things, right after being called a bitch. I remember when I was younger, I thought I had the hairiest arms compared to all my friends. And wanted SO bad to shave them but my parents were completely against it. I think I was in 6th grade at this time? I hated them so much! My own family; my brothers and cousins would call me "hairy mary." I think it was a year later I was at a girl cousin's house whom was older and she talked me into shaving my arms and the hell with it I did! My parents were pissed off of course but it made me feel better. Gosh, I was in the 7th grade and already trying to meet standards!

When the new show Bridalplasty hit the air on E! network I literally dropped my jaw and could not believe what the hell this world is coming to! I've never seen an episode and don't plan to however, the point of the show is for the brides-to-be to compete and who ever wins literally gets cut, with plastic surgery. This show seems very similar to the show Jessica Valenti explains to us in this chapter, The Swan. I agree with her when she talks about the doctors because that is the most shocking to me. They're okay with this! A women to change the way she looks because she's soon to be married. Bridalplasty is pretty much telling all the young girls and teen aged girls that this is beauty, and beauty is to get cosmetic surgery especially before your wedding day.

Now, the most surprising part of this ready was vagina beauty standards. I had no idea there was even a such thing as vaginal rejuvenation surgery. I really thought this was a complete joke. So I decided to do some research on it and what I saw the most popular words when describing this were the words "vagina tightening procedure." It was sickening to me that women around the world are actually doing this. Oh and this procedure can cost up to $9000 dollars. Then I kept reading and there is really a such a thing as a hymen replacement?! I cringed completely and had to stop.

Young women being the center of this beauty cult is due to the negative media our society has portrayed. We're supposed to look a certain way and act a certain way or we're ugly. But wait, if we meet up to those standards and dress cute or sexy then we're sluts? It seems like we're never going to win this war of beauty. I of course fall into this category and I can admit it. I too spend so much money on clothes, shoes, and make up. But I too know that I don't need all this to make me happy, I do it because I like to look a certain way. I have always loved me for me and I won't let society take me down.


No comments:

Post a Comment