Thursday, February 17, 2011

Boys will be boys

Kimmel's article "What are little boys made of" exposes the ignorance of men when it comes to how boys are raised. This is shown when Kimmel shows us researchers who base boy's behavior primarily on biological differences such as when researchers use terms "testosterone surging through their little limbs", and "testosterone equals vitality". All these researchers refuse to acknowledge the fact that boys are raised to be the way they are. You know they are in complete denial especially when they come up with an excuse for boys not listening to well due to their own fact that boy's "ear canals develop in irregular spurts".

Looking at this article and looking back at my life I can easily identify moments in my life when my father told me to suck it up. My dad telling me to never cry. He even told me to fight back if someone dared to mess with me. And I wonder why I was so violent as a child. To generalize boy's behavior based on biological differences and ignoring the way boys are raised in eyes is complete madness. The reason being the fact that i have friends who were boys raised in the exact same way my father tried to raise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment