Monday, February 14, 2011

Natural Biology and Learned Gender

“For humans, the social is the natural.” This led me to think of how we as individuals want to be part of the social norm. We worry and struggle on a daily basis in order to be part of society. We see this in childhood all the way to high school and even as an adult. Lorber quoted, “not biology but culture becomes destiny.” We all refer back to our past and keep the culture going. It surprised me that the article, “the social structure of gender” is somewhat true. We “do gendering” all the time, we place an individual in a gender category: male or female.

But it comes naturally, because we were brought up to see the differences between two sexes. I believe we are divided and gender is part of our identity. It is not just the biology part but we have our differences as women and men. Born and developed with different functions both physically and emotionally. I must agree that human society does create this division and how women are ranked lower, seen as the weaker sex. We need a change in that.

Genders identify who we are. We can see in our toys, hair products, clothes, and by all this, it affects or shows our gender status. In my childhood, I was considered a “tomboy” and I recall in those days, wanting to be active more than feminine (thinking girls were required to be weak and delicate). I wanted to impress my father (having only two daughters in the household) and show him that any girl could play sports and be as adventurous. Now looking back, I realize how the world as shaped me. It’s amazing how even, I as a female, were to think of femininity as something weak. We are not lower, nor higher, just playing our roles in how we are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment