Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog 1: Full Frontal Feminism

From the second reading selection, I definitely found the reading from Full Frontal Feminism the most interesting. I think that Jessica Valenti is an amazing writer because I felt as though she was talking to me personally, like trying to get her point across through conversation. Some people may not appreciate her use of vulgar language, but I think it emphasized her feelings towards what she was talking about and it also made the reading more “teen” friendly. One portion of the reading I liked was on page 8, where she talks about how people stereotype feminists as ugly. She goes on to say how the boy she was in love with in elementary school told her she was ugly because she had a big nose. That was the worst thing she had ever been told, and that is true with every girl because no girl wants to be called ugly. Therefore, I think she made a good connection between why women do not name themselves as feminists. Another section of the reading I found intriguing was how she explains that women name feminism as dead, or achieved, but that she still sees people trying to convince everyone that it is over. If it was over, then women would not still be asking for equal pay at work, ending violence towards women, or getting more women involved in politics. I agree with her in the fact that most women agree with feminist goals and thoughts, but are to cowardly to name themselves feminists. I would call myself a feminist because I believe that it is just an act to help get women equal to men and I do not see anything wrong or embarrassing about that!

2 comments:

  1. You made very good points and I also feel that with her use of language, she is putting emotion behind her statements. I also felt it was a good point she made when she said that many women feel feminism is achieved but if it was fully achieved then women would be getting equal pay for equal jobs rather than less pay for equal jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I first started reading the book, her cutting-edge writing was the first thing that grabbed my attention. Then I felt she was really talking to me, as you said. I thought it was a nice change from a "typical textbook" that would tells us concepts that we would regurgitate for the exam.

    ReplyDelete