Monday, February 7, 2011

Institutions and Sports

In our reading WVFV, on page 66 there was a paragraph on sports and how it is mainly dominated by males. There is a major difference between how often people watch women's basketball and men's basketball. The superbowls are the most watched television event (they have more viewers than the Oscars!). It is a male dominated sport. However, there is no blowout event for women's sports. I don't know much about sports but I know how big the superbowl is because of the media and friends. I like the superbowl but it would be nice to see women's sports to the status of a superbowl.

2 comments:

  1. Good point. Would you call beauty pageants or the miss America contest the equivalency of men's sports? The sweat and tears put into these contests. Long months of preparation and training for that one day is somewhat reflective of a men's sport event--I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, beauty pagents can be considered I guess. That's an interesting point. It is not as watched as the superbowl but I see your point.

    I was also thinking that cheerleading is also a very competitive sport. Girls are throwing up 100+ pounds in the air then catching them. That is really impressive to me. I think they have televised cheer competitions.

    ReplyDelete