Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Look in the Mirror

What do you see when you look in the mirror? When I look at myself, I see a girl as “normal” as I could be. Yes, there is definitely room for improvement to make me feel better, but it is not the kind of improvement where I want surgery or loads of make-up and hair care to give me a better look. I want a natural improvement. And I would have to agree with the things said in the reading on body ethics by the participants about how some of them grew up and view their body today. Instead of looking at your body and trying to fit that perfect image of a perfect look/body type [that of a skinny, beautiful white woman like on all the magazines], people should just take care of themselves! This includes (as some are mentioned in the reading) watching what you eat to stay healthy, accepting what was given to you and valuing it, showering daily and dressing decently in clean clothes, combing your hair, etc. Presenting oneself and being confident about it is very important, no matter how curvy you may or may not be, or with any other features you may have that you think don’t fit what is to be “pretty”. I know that it’s said women of color are “protected” from these body images we expect [among white women], but it still goes for everyone. Geez, even guys have an image to uphold: being big and masculine. I would say that how you treat your body through hygiene and fitness for health reasons is a big factor, rather than just caring about looking like a Barbie doll. “Beauty is how one carries and cares for oneself.” I keep my head up and stand here proud to be who I am, no matter what people have to say about what I look like. I am personally trying to improve my body so I can stay healthy and fit and live a long and active life. I’m taking care of myself, for me. Now, will you look in the mirror and accept yourself, or judge what you see through others eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment