Wednesday, February 23, 2011

No pain, No gain


After reading the article "China's Cosmetic Surgery Craze", I was surprised at just how important plastic surgery has become nation wide. I think that the whole idea of being perfect and fitting the certain look has been blown way out of proportion. Until reading the article I had never heard of leg-lengthening. I think the media portrays this perfect image to women by setting the bar so high out of reach that these women will do anything to get there. I always thought plastic surgery was dangerous and should only be performed on severe deformities, not just because they want bigger boobs. Plastic surgery has great risks and doesn't always go as planned. When a women does one surgery, she soon becomes addicted and begins finding a million different flaws that she wants fixed by cosmetic surgery. Women try so hard to live up to the "barbie doll" look by getting multiple procedures, and often they end up looking worse than they did before. A lot of women often regret getting plastic surgery because it's irreversible. I think there should be a limit and some validating reasons as to why they want the surgery in the first place. I can't even imagine getting my legs broken and stretched just to compete with others in China. If that is what they have to do to get in to law schools, certain jobs, and even help find a marriage partner, it's really sad. It's clear that plastic surgery has been taken way too far.




2 comments:

  1. I remember when I first saw Montag's before and after pictures, I nearly threw up. She looks completely, well, plastic. Her boyfriend, and now husband (?)Spencer Pratt was a very controlling man and greatly influenced her to change the way she looked. He perhaps had some control issues and pressured her. He was a cheater as well. I believe many women who are in abusive relationships feel the need to change themselves to convince their spouses they are worthy, when they need to dump them. Valenti explains in her book in our last reading that women who have shitty boyfriends who cheat and mistreat should be ditched & we, as women, shouldnt feel like we need to change ourselves for them. Unlike what abusers want thier sposes to think, we are not the problem, the abuser is. UGH, I hate Spencer Pratt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with csufgirl312, i think the problem here is the guy, and i think the girl is just scared to move on with her life, stand up for herself and leave that life of being treated bad. I think women like that should have the courage to think for themselves for what is good for them and move on! Love may be blinding but it can be killing you slowly in the inside.

    ReplyDelete