Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Doing It on Valentine's Day

Yesterday was Valentine’s Day. I’m a girl. As a female I woke up excited because I knew it was a special day for us, in love, females. It’s a great day to show how we do gender - unconsciously. My mind, like many others, was already programmed to be excited at all the great things that were going to happen on this day. I would look prettier than ever, I would get a box of chocolate, and a dozen red roses – I would be doing my …. gender. If I thought differently, I could be at risk of being labeled manly, homosexual, or ugly. Lorber describes doing gender as a programmed way to feel a sense of worth and identity. On Valentines Day, the definition of a woman is “the person receiving flowers”. So if you’re a “man”, receiving flowers would be equivalent to being called a woman - an insult to most. Lorber would describe this as a process, where “gender creates the social differences that define a woman and a man.” On Valentines day, females learn what is expected (act and look pretty to get flowers and chocolate) and act in expected ways. Lorber describes this as keeping gender order. Gender is an expression of culture and society. Society decided that women should be beautiful and fragile as symbolized by flowers and thus, are given such on Valentines day. Everyone does gender everyday- unconsciously.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really good example of doing gender. Valentine's Day is shows so many ways that people show gender. It is the man's job duty to plan the day and spoil the woman. At the same time, it is the woman's job to look pretty. I never thought of this holiday being ruled by gender roles, but it most definitely is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I see how we "do gender" as women. We do it everyday in class: how we sit, we do our hair, put on makeup, wear skirts...the list goes on. You never really see it until someone points it out to you though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha this is the perfect example of someone doing gender. We express our gender everyday through things we wouldn't even realize, but Valentines Day is the perfect example. Being a guy, Valentines Day is nothing more than the day girls expect gifts and one's full attention. It's up to guys to come through with this. I don't think I've ever heard of a girl going all out for her boyfriend on Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete