Thursday, February 17, 2011

Playing Gender Roles

The essay Boys-R-Us, by Jennifer Scanlon gives us insight on gender socialization and gender roles through games. She exposes the dangers of certain board games that were popular in the past two decades. Even though toys and board games have changed, there are still some common themes that still prevail. As conveyed in the essay, women and men are type casted through a heteronormative lens. I have yet to see Ken and his partner Jon. There are still these typical toys for girls like the Easy Bake Oven, and Barbie; and lets not forget the monster trucks and action figures for boys. In my opinion gender specific toys are crucial for the socialization of gender. Maybe without them we would be a step closer to eliminating gender differences.

In my childhood I spent hour on end playing with my dolls and my Barbie’s, I remember how we excluded my sister because she refused to take part. She did not like “girl toys” at all. Toys are harmful in a way that they create certain expectations to follow, in the creation of dreams and even in how one must look and act. You never see a plus size Barbie or doll, for the most part they are all Caucasian, they have no blemishes or spots, no wrinkles and are the perfect stature. Barbie as old as she is never seems to age! The Barbie doll gives young children messages that are not positive; it portrays an image to follow that is rarely attainable. Toys that are geared to girls are not the exception, guns and knifes are often popular for boys. These types of toys reinforce the acceptance of violence and hostility.

What kind of toys did you grow up playing with? Do you think they had any affect in how you see gender and social roles?

1 comment:

  1. When I was a kid I played with Army men, power rangers, you name it. Mostly all had to do with violence in some way, which made it somewhat acceptable to me at the time; because of course, why would a boy want to play with Barbies?

    ReplyDelete