Monday, April 18, 2011

fear the people we know personally?

After reading MacKinnon's article, she made a point to say that the more the woman knows the man, the more likely he is to get away with rape. Growing up I had never thought of the possibility of a man that I knew on a personal level could even think about doing such a thing to someone they knew. I had never understood the whole high that these disgusting men get when they rape a woman. I always remember my own mother telling me that her very own stepfather had raped her and got away with it but I didn't ever take it seriously until I got older and realized how traumatized she must have been. My grandmother loved him and didn't believe my mother for a second that he would do something like that to her. When I read the article and it said they are more likely to get away with rape it reminded me of my mother's situation and it just goes to show that it is true. When I was a young girl I was always fearful of strangers and weird old men that would hang out around parks or schools but I was never fearful I the men that were a part of my everyday life because I trusted them. I remember my friend telling me that her very own brother would sneak into her room randomly at night and start touching her and forcing her to do things. I asked her if she ever told her parents and she said she could never do that, she feared that they either wouldn't believe her or that it would break up her family and cause nothing but problems. Until now, I never realized how common rape was among people that know the perpetrator on a personal level until I think about the friends and family members that have shared their experiences and all of them have been involved with either a family member or friend that they were in contact with often.

No comments:

Post a Comment