Thursday, April 21, 2011

Women in Iraq

"Wow" is all I can say after reading Fang's "The Talibanization of Iraq". I had no idea that this was going on in Iraq and I can not imagine how these women are feeling. It was interesting to learn that times are actually harder for women since the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime and that he actually encouraged women to go to school and enter the workforce. Living in a free country like the U.S., it is hard to fathom not being able to dress the way I would want, get a job, go to school, or even walk to the grocery store without the fear of being sexually assaulted or murdered. Also, to know that if I am raped or murdered my body may not be claimed because of my family being fearful is somewhat understandable, considering the times in Iraq, but to know my body wouldn't get claimed because they are ashamed is just heartbreaking. What is so shameful about your own daughter/wife/sister being wrongfully and brutally murdered? The way women are perceived in Iraq completely blows my mind. Why do they feel that women are evil? How did this way of life begin? For violence against women to be committed by "everyone around you" in Iraq, it seems as though it is going to take A LOT of time before things can and will change. Im not sure if things are still this way in Iraq but I hope more women's rights activists are taking stands and doing what they can to help the women of Iraq.

No comments:

Post a Comment