Thursday, April 14, 2011

Having hope isn't illegal..

Sex trafficking amongst women is so popular and I guess I can say I never knew how normalized this problem was. I’ve heard stories and how it occurs a lot in Thailand but to the extent of what is it, I never really knew. Not only did it shock me how much money they rank in annually but that the UN is involved and it seemed so nonchalant. They brainwash these women to believe that they are worth nothing and this ‘new’ life is the best they can ever do. Not only are these women owned by sick, sick me but they have rent?! And only earn $4 per customer!! This is equivalent to “300 men a moth just to pay her rent.” I had no idea that there was a way sex trafficking and prostitution could get worse, but I was wrong.

Right away while reading this article I thought about the movie “Taken,” which is one of my top 25 movies because I feel like it portrays the severity of sex trafficking and prostitution. The movie shows us what happens in the sequence of sex trafficking. In this case, the men had a job to find young girls to sell and when he had his target and had the girls they were sent to brothels, completely drugged, abused and raped then were then sold to men who just sat with a drink in hand and chose which girl looked best. It’s terrifying to see that things like this could really still happen and the thought of just wanting to escape is horrible.

I thought to myself, this really still goes on? Women still face these sick predators “pimps” and are most likely victims of violence without a doubt when they aren’t meeting up to their standards? I have literally seen a prostitute on Lincoln Ave. in Cypress and could not believe it!! The only thing this sick business if bringing in is the increase of deaths from AIDS/HIV and unwanted pregnancies from the men who refuse to wear a condom.

I completely agree with Leuchtag when she states “ending the sexual exploitation of trafficking and prostitution will mean the beginning of a new chapter in building a humanist future…” Having hope that this sick business will one day fade away is what 'I' hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment