Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Heavy traffick alert!


The readings for today focused on human trafficking, particularly the trafficking of women in foreign countries. Billions of dollars is being poured into this industry and it is a very corrupt system. Men use these tactics to maintain a sense of power and control over women, especially foreign women. Leuchtag explains that society can no longer use the excuses that “boys will be boys” or “this is the way men are”. Men need to be changed and disciplined for their actions of sexual violence. I completely agree with her in this sense because women who are tricked into being sold for a better job opportunity do not have a clue about what is happening. Also, at such a young age of about 13 or 14, girls do not really have a say in what their parents do with them and often families are in such financial burden that they will take any amount of money even if it includes selling their child. However that is something I will never understand. I am sure that these people have to know about the horrors of trafficking that goes on in their country, so why would they fall for the people that offer their daughters “great” opportunities for their lives? Do these families really not know about the trafficking problems or do they just care about the money more? I do not have children yet, but I could never imagine selling my child even under the worst conditions because I know that my parents would NEVER sell me to get out of poverty. I think that these families from other countries are often not educated and are naïve to their surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment