Thursday, April 21, 2011

Time to reveil me..

The Taliban on Iraq really gave me an insight of what happened after the fall of regime. To be quite honest, I guess I just didn't think about what happened to all the women in Iraq. Of course, we all know the stereotypes put out on Iraqi women and considered them as very oppressed because of all the things they are faced with but reading this story is very saddening. With the limited rights they had, they way they HAD to dress, not being safe at home or on the streets, having to hid, violence and the list could go on. It seemed as if women don't really matter at all after Suddam Husssein's regime, as if they aren't there anymore. What really stuck out to me was the percentage of women who were literate. According to UNESCO, in 1987, 75 percent of women were literate, and 13 years later it dropped to LESS than 25 percent?! That's absolutely crazy to me!!

I really do believe that Muslim women are being oppressed by having to wear a veil, and having to cover every inch of their body. Oh wait, they can reveal their eyes and hands! It's the men who can't control themselves and I believe this is why the women have to cover up. Here we are again, step 1, men having power and control over women. Brainwashing these women to make them believe it's respect. My sister once dated a Muslim man and all the women in his family were covered. But I do remember a party of the women's that I went to and not one of the girls were covered. It's kind of sad to see how relieved they were to not be covered up but once the men were coming to pick them up, they either hid or quickly changed. These women are getting raped for not wearing their veil and covering up!! This is crazy to me and leads me back to men. They can't control themselves and have to be in authority!

No comments:

Post a Comment