Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pull the broom out of your ass, and use it!



I find it very interesting that some cleaning companies, such as Merry Maids, in particular, use “stealthy lines” to lure in customers. One line that stood out to me in particular in Ehrenreich’s article, ‘Maid to Order,’ was the “stealthy line” claiming to “[…] scrub your floors the old fashioned way.”
Let’s define old fashioned way here. In my eyes, the ‘old fashioned way’ in this case consists of women degrading themselves by getting down on their hands and knees and scrubbing the shit out of dirty floors that no one else would dare touch; like Cinderella, if you will.
So, why are these companies glamorizing the idea cleaning the old fashioned way? Is the idea of degrading women appealing to the rich? Does the idea of having a cleaning lady make the rich (or anyone who can afford a cleaning lady) feel better about themselves by assuming a role of dominance?
All I know for sure is that this notion is messed up beyond all belief. After all, let’s not kid ourselves and pretend these Merry Maids enjoy busting their asses off for rich spoiled white kids. I understand that some cleaning ladies become ‘part of the family’ blah blah blah. People just say that to feel better about themselves for paying someone to do their dirty work.
The idea of having a cleaning lady has always rubbed me the wrong way. One of my exes had a cleaning lady, and I witnessed him and his mother treating her as though she was their slave. They would talk to her like she wasn’t even human, and yell at her if she did not clean to their unrealistic idea of ‘clean’ that they should have been doing for themselves in the first place. This was very unsettling to me. And yes, I am aware this is perhaps a dramatic case I was witnessing, but still! Let’s be honest, either way it is still awkward knowing you are paying an alleged ‘merry’ maid to clean up your bathroom and make your bed, simple tasks one can do on his/her own. Anyways, not only was my boyfriend denigrating a fellow woman of mine, but his MOTHER was as well. Am I detecting some horizontal hostility here? Seeing a woman treating a fellow woman with such denigration and disrespect unveiled to me the harsh realities of horizontal hostility. It’s one thing to read about it, but to actually witness something so terrible happening right in front of me pissed me off.
The glamorization of women cleaning on their hands and knees (a.k.a. denigration of women) needs to stop. It saddens me that the denigration of women is what people desire and will pay extra to get. I still cannot figure out the exact reason as to why this may be. When did people become so lazy? Clean your own house & think twice before supporting such a terrible idea.

ps I googled maid, and this is what came up. Just thought this was interesting/sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment