Monday, April 11, 2011

You are just asking for it!!!

Valenti’s work points out disturbing facts about rape. Every now and again we read or hear stories about a woman being raped or assaulted, around campus, a familiar park or even our own neighborhood. As women we may feel threatened, scared and horrified to hear about such events and we become more vigilant about our surroundings, we are truly more careful about the situations we put ourselves into. However I must argue, it is not our job to vigilant aware of our surroundings. I should not have to power walk through campus with a pepper spray in hand praying that no one will harm me and that I will safely make it to my car. This is one of the symptoms of the objectification of women, since we are many times seen as things, less that human men think that we are theirs to grab, fondle and rape. I have encountered more experiences than I can count with both hands of male either touching me improperly of saying sexual comments to me. There is this culture in where these acts are accepted and celebrated. There is often to many stories about horrifying acts of rape in where women are portrayed as if they had asked for it, what a horrifying experience must it be that you are no longer a victim but a whore in your own rape. These attitudes and ideas are generated and tolerated in society and are hard to get rid off. It is an unfortunate cancer that needs to be treated from the core.

As I was reading Valenti’s chapter, The Blame (and Shame) Game I remembered an ABC’s special, it is called What Would You Do? (I posted the second part) In this particular segment they are presenting a woman out on a date with a guy that spikes her drink. They posse two scenarios one in where the woman is dressed a bit more covered up and another where she is showing a little more skin. It is unfortunate to say that a lot more people came to her rescue when she seemed less sexual. This just shows that in peoples mind if you look a certain way you are just asking for it.

*Watch closely how the two men at the bar act are reluctant to say anything to the girl. Do you think that these two men just do not want to get involved or do you think there is something else?




1 comment:

  1. This video is so sad how society can walk away from such disturbing acts.

    ReplyDelete