Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Need to read more!

As I was reading The Handmaids Tale, I kept thinking to myself, what am I going to write my blog about? I do not think I read enough to fully understand what is going on the book yet. I do understand that each maid wears a different color which distinguishes them by their type of job. I believe that "the marthas" the author talks about are the cooks of each households but at this point, I am not positive. What I do not understand is where this is taking place, I know it is the outskirts of the town Gilead but I feel as though they have their own secret society. She talks about "The Guardians" and I know they are to protect the people, but from what? She also talks about her past life which was very different from her life now but what happened for her to be where she is today? Are Rita and Cora just other maids that live in the household too? I hope I am not the only one with all these questions but I know I just have to read more to find out and I am excited to do so!

1 comment:

  1. There are some topics we've talked about in class that could be used in the blogs. The relationship between the Commander's wife and Offred shows horizontal hostility for example. It is a bit tricky using the book for blogs but I am trying to apply theories and concepts to my blogs. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete