Monday, April 11, 2011

Hey Rape, let me fit you into my schedule!

When reading Valenti's "The Blame (and Shame) Game" there was one particular thing that caught my attention. The "rape schedule". I read that and just kept running through my mind all the times I go about "protecting myself". Every time I go to my car I have my keys pointing out from my hands fist position, ready to hit someone! It started a long time ago when my mom would tell me "you never know who's going to be waiting in a parking lot for a girl walking by herself". So I always prepared myself for it. Not only my keys, but my phone, especially at night, I always had it ready to call my dad! Till this day I hate going outside late at night, like if I forget something in my car. If it is possible I have someone go out with me or watch me from the doorway. I get scared in front of my own house! That is just wrong. But then Valenti gets to the idea that sometimes it is not the creepy random stranger trying to harass you, it could be a friend, or someone close to you! Now doesn't that freak you out even more! How is a girl supposed to be comfortable or okay anywhere!? They gave excuses as to why girls get raped as though it's their fault. Well what if she did go out with that "slutty" look with a guy she was really good friends with, then he or maybe one of his friends took advantage of her drunkeness and harassed or raped her. Who could she trust then? How could any girl be herself or feel safe anywhere? She couldn't! It's like we would have to be fully aware of everyone around us, friend or foe. Men are overpowering us even when they're not directly doing it to us. When they're not around we worry and fear them, when they are around we still may fear them. Such as women who are stuck in those relationships with abusive or intimate violent partners. Where do those women go? How can they escape it if it's all around them, at home and when they are out at the store, bar, anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment