Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Solution to the Housework Problem: Maid

After reading “Maid to Order” it made me wonder what keeps the Merry Maids so merry. With what they seem to go though from ungrateful customers, busybody employers and having to do someone else’s housework for a living it just seems logical to ask: why? The reason is that people don’t like cleaning. It’s a lot of work and if you have a job that makes it double work and most people don’t like having to work overtime without getting paid. So there is no wonder why the people who can afford it, hire someone to clean their houses. But what example are these people setting for the children they have. The example from the text of the child being annoyed because the maid wasn’t finished with her job was appalling. The child doesn’t seem to be gaining any courtesy for other people, not to mention lacking appreciation for the privilege that’s being given.
I have to admit though that I am someone who hires someone to clean their house. Not me personally but my mom. My mom works a nine hour shift five days a week and when we were living with my dad he would work longer depending on what type of work he had that day. Not to blame my dad (although God knows I have every right to) but he wouldn’t really help with any inside work, he barely did the outside work, only if we were lucky and he would blame it on being exhausted from work. For as long as I could remember, we have always had the same lady clean our house and I never really had to do any cleaning. I used to think it was a privilege but as I got older and into high school I realized that I didn’t know how to do laundry and the reason was because there was always some doing it for me. What is having someone doing the job I should be helping with doing for me: encouraging laziness!
I don’t think that keeping a home clean is solely the work for a woman. In a family, it is everyone’s job to keep the home clean. It’s not that difficult, more people should try it, (me too).

No comments:

Post a Comment