Thursday, April 7, 2011

Men are now stepping it up!

After reading “The Politics of Housework” overall I would have to disagree with author Pat Mainardi. Times have changed, a lot and I think things are different now. From my personal experience growing up and seeing things in my relationship make me feel this way. Growing up things at home were absolutely NOTHING like “The Politics of Housework”, my dad always cooked the dinner and he was the one who did my hair every morning for school and maybe because my mom was already gone to work but he was the one who did it. I don’t ever recall any ‘traditional’ rules at home, it was never dad takes out the trash and does outside work and mom cooks, cleans, and does laundry. My mom loved doing outside work like cutting the grass and planting flowers. And now as I’m older it still continues this way in my house. I swear my mom cooks dinner like twice a year! HA! It’s my dad who makes dinner every single night and they both split the chores. However, now my dad at times has expectations that my mom should be cooking dinner, etc. Maybe that’s because he’s done it for all these years? And as for my brothers, they cook for themselves and do housework all the time and I think it’s because of my parents standards on them. But my brothers do know how to fix any and everything. Anyways, my point to all of this is that I think things are slowly changing as the years go by and our generations of men are changing. Men are more willing to help around with housework nowadays!

No comments:

Post a Comment